20 December 2015

Winter in Kerala

It is winter here 9.6°N of the equator.  The sun shines with almost as much heat as usual.  But the angle of the sunlight is different.  The quality of the light makes the air feel just a tad cooler, the bird calls sound wintry and as I look at the sky I feel a yearning, [as Hans Christian Andersen's ugly duckling must have felt when he saw the other swans flying south at the beginning of winter] a yearning to be a bird, flying high in the thinner air.  There is also a tug in my heart, a nostalgia for times gone by.  The light makes me aware that another year is on it's way out and a new one to come, hopefully more peaceful than this one was.
The shadows chase each other outside my window, but the shadows are fuzzy, not stark and the light gentle.
I love the December light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Do give your feed back.