14 June 2015

P is for Pineapples and Papayas

Pineapple is one among my top 5 favourite fruits.  [I am an avid fruit lover.]  Pineapples grow quite well in our state, though they don't look like the Dole pineapples at all.  Whatever it is, I love them, prickly skin, eyes and all.  Incidentally, if you do not want to peel and cut a whole pineapple, you can cut half the pineapple and leave one half, unpeeled, cut side down, on a plate in the fridge and it keeps quite fine for a couple of days.  If you don't have a fancy corer for your pineapples, just use the lid of a small bottle to punch out the cores.  Sorry I don't have any pictures.
Now for the papaya.  I like papayas too, though they don't figure even among my top ten favourites.  But, they grow easily around here, and one rarely goes out and plants a papaya, unless it's some fancy variety.  We use the raw papaya too, but cooked, not like the Thai papaya salad, which is of raw uncooked papaya (which is delicious).  Here are two pictures, one of a young papaya tree and a ripe papaya from that tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Do give your feed back.